Apr 26, 2012

Apples of our life.

Hebrews 2:18


"For because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted."

Whenever I hear the word temptation, the image that instantly comes into my mind is an apple. Growing up as a kid, I thought the the apple was similar, if not, the fruit what Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Temptation can be of any form. It can be anything in this world that fall into anyone of these three categories: Attracting, Enticing, Alluring. From an obvious standpoint, it's everything that is pleasing to the senses. That's why Adam and Eve ate the apple. Because it seemed so good. So then, what's so bad about temptation?

Let us bear in mind that the reason why sin entered the world and what made us sinners is temptation. The devil used temptation to disguise what was sinful into a good thing. Temptation gave birth to sin. Sin gave birth to death. Since everyone of us are sinners, we are all dead. We are forever separated with God. We all fell short of His glory. And this "death" of ours is the primary reason why Jesus Christ had to die on the cross.

Hebrews 2:18 makes me think about the "apples" in my life. I still tend to go back on my tempting old habits. I still get enticed by things which seems pleasing to me, but not in the eyes of the Lord. As much as I want to run away, I always end up giving into it. And I have to admit, it's very hard for me to resist temptation. And that is the point.

We cannot resist temptation alone. But what was said in Hebrews 2:18 can be our guarantee that though it is hard, it is very much possible to resist it. This is through Jesus Christ. Note that even Jesus Christ was tempted (Matthew 4:1-11). But he had the strength and will to turn away from it.

When we're faced with temptation, we must not try to stand against it on our own. For this can be futile. What we can do is to turn from temptation to Jesus Christ. Remember, even He was tempted. So he can understand what we're going through. He is the only one who can help us resist the "apples" offered in our lives.

Reflect on this: What are the "apples" in your life? Do you freely accept them? Have your ever called out to the Lord to help you resist these delicious "apples"?

Prayer: Lord, today I am blessed by what was said in Hebrews 2:18. I felt secured that you offer us help when we are faced with temptation. I am reminded that even you were faced with this kind of struggle. But unlike me, you stood tall and turned away from it. It just shows that you are truly powerful and Holy God.

Help me, Oh merciful God, to resist the "apples" of my life. Forgive me for the times I gave in my Lord, for in those times, I trusted in my own strength. Which eventually lead me to sinning against you. Instead of indulging in them, let me enjoy your presence. Your love. Your Holiness. Let me be satisfied in you and you alone. Grant me the strength, Lord, through Christ, to overcome temptation together with you.

Let all the glory be to you my Lord! Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment