Apr 22, 2012

Raising a child when you're a child yourself.

Proverbs 22:6


"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."


It's quite a challenge to raise children nowadays. Well, given the kind of environment and society we live in, it's a challenge for every parent to raise their kids appropriately. Especially when you want your kids to grow as responsible and God believing adults. Parents must work hand in hand and in prayers to ensure that their child can withstand the exposure to a very ungodly world.

But what about single parents? It's tough to raise kids alone especially when you're the only one providing for your child in all aspects of life (financial, emotional, and spiritual). But given that you are single, what if you're a  teenager too? That's double or even triple the pressure.

I've experienced this firsthand. I was 16 when I became a father. At age 18, I was already a parent of two. It's very, very, very difficult. I had no means whatsoever to provide for my kids. Both financially and emotionally. Thank God that my parents were kind enough to provide my children's needs and to support my education as well. And now, as a 23 year old man, I'm raising my kids together with my parents.

However, the point here is this. How do you raise a child when you're a child yourself? Back then, I was totally clueless. Well, to be honest, I'm quite clueless in a few areas of parenthood as of today. Immature to be exact. I was usually screaming at the kids. Constantly hitting them when I see them doing something wrong. I even went as far as cursing them. There was a big gap between us. This continued up until early this year.

Thank God that this immature behavior of mine diminished slowly when I renewed my faith as a Christian. I thought to myself, there must be a Godly way to raise my kids. Also, compared to my children, I am also a child in the eyes of God. Constantly committing mistakes. Yet God has been faithful and compassionate towards me. This thought of mine was reinforced when I saw the movie "Courageous" in our church last February. As it showcased the importance of being there for your children as a father. Not just in terms of presence at home. But more on the presence in their lives.

I believe that God wants us to bring out the father in us. To bring our children close to Him. And this is what He advised  us in Proverbs 22:6. This is our responsibility. He wants us to raise our children accordingly. And I strongly believe that when we do raise our kids in a Godly way, they too will pass this to their children and grandchildren. Glorifying and honoring God in the process.

As of today, I'm closing the gap between me and my children. I'm connecting to them through reading devotional books and stories, spending time with them during my off days, and bringing one of them to church every Sunday to worship the Lord with other Christians. But I admit that the struggles are still there. There are occasional times that I tend to raise my voice, be impatient with them, and ignore them. But I'm in constant prayer to the Lord to give me patience, maturity and compassion for my kids.

Reflect on this: Are you raising your child by using force or violence? If you do, have you ever thought about how God is patient and compassionate towards you?

Prayer: Lord God, I give thanks for your compassion and mercy towards us. Though we are like ignorant children committing mistakes in front of you, you still treat us with love and care just like a father would.

When I break something, You come and pick it up for me. When I hurt myself, You come and treat my wounds. When I cry, You provide comfort. When I'm hungry, You provide food. Thank you for being a parent to each and everyone of us.

Thank you God for sending our brother Jesus Christ to save us from sin. Hear my prayers Lord. Give me the same compassion, love and mercy you show me to my children. Let me offer them to you so I could glorify and honor you.

Praise be to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment