Apr 29, 2012

Better late than never.

2 Samuel 5:12


"Then David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel and had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people in Israel."

Today was a great day for praise and worship at Cornerstone Community Baptist Church. Not because of some event or occasion that we celebrated, but because today's sermon (2 Samuel 5) highlights the rise of David as king of Israel. 

For an unbeliever, this may seem little, if none, of any value. But if you've studied Scripture, you'll know that this marks the establishment of God's kingdom on earth. This event opens up the path for the true King when he arrives. And that true King that we must all acknowledge is Jesus Christ. Our Lord, our Savior, our Redeemer.

During the course of the sermon, our Pastor said something that really struck me. He said, with regards to accepting Jesus Christ as your King, that “It’s better to come late, than to never come at all”. Well, quite frankly, I think this is true. As for me, being on this earth for 22 years without purpose or direction seems to be pointless. All those years of senseless living were wasted years. Thank God that on my 23rd year of existence, I was saved through believing the King. His Son, Jesus Christ. In a way, though I think I was quite late because I could have served my King earlier, it's much better than living my life not knowing the King at all.

As said in 2 Samuel 5:12, just like David's establishment as king over Israel, when Jesus Christ returns and is finally revealed to everyone, he will be acknowledged as the King by every nation on earth. But don't be misled by the word "King" here. Though he will certainly rule over us, it is not only for his sake, but eventually for ours. Because only by submitting to Jesus Christ's authority, can we be saved from eternal damnation. He is not a King that just rules over God's people. He is the King that serves God's people.

Once the King is revealed, those who are with him and submit to him will be saved. Just like the nation of Israel through King David. But those who don't will surely be punished and destroyed. They would share the same fate that the Jebusites and Philistines had when they opposed the authority of King David. So, having these said, you should ask yourself. Are you coming to submit yourself to the King or not?

Reflect on this: Who is your King? If it's not Jesus Christ, who is it? How does Christ rule over your life?

Prayer: Oh, Lord of Lords and King of Kings. I fully submit myself over your authority as my King. Not because I am forced to do this, but because this is what you want for me. I ask for forgiveness for the time it took for me to come to you, my Lord.

Dear God, thank you for the promise of salvation. Thank you for sending us our King, Jesus Christ. And just like what King David did to Israel, I pray to you, Oh Lord, to save us and unite us.

Lead us to freedom, my King. Lead us to victory. Not victory over literal battles with others, but victory over the enemy of sin. For in you, we put all our faith. For in you, we know that victory is guaranteed. All hail the King. Our King. Amen!

2 comments:

  1. very encouraging bro... you reminded me of my own blogspot that i havent updated in more than a year i think... perhaps i need to get back at it!

    here's a link http://rjcortes23.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete