May 1, 2012

Our pain compared to His.

1 Peter 3:18


"For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit."

All through out the day I've felt pain in my mouth. And a lot of it, as a matter of fact. It's like my teeth are going to fall out any moment. Thanks to my newly attached dental braces, I need to endure this kind of pain for quite some time.

As I was thinking about my own description of what pain is, a horrible image suddenly flashed in my mind. A scene of unimaginable pain. A scene of anguish. A scene of suffering. The scene of our Lord, Jesus Christ, at the cross.

Most of us don't know what it feels like to be crucified. And I bet no one wants to experience that kind of thing. No one wants to carry a 300-pound wood and be attached to it by using 7 inch nails. But really, how much pain do you think did our Savior, Jesus Christ, felt when nails were being driven to his flesh? How much suffering did he felt when he has attached to the cross while being mocked and cursed by sinners? What kind of anguish did he felt when he saw his mother crying and when his Father forsaken him?

I cannot even start to comprehend how much pain He went through that moment. And the mere fact that he was sent there to suffer because of my sins makes me feel ashamed. But I'm thinking, was it really the physical torture that caused him so much pain? Or was it because of the sin we people committed to his Father that caused him so much suffering? Personally, I think it's the latter.

Even though we made our Savior suffer and die on the cross, what was said in 1 Peter 3:18 tells us that His suffering was not in vain. He accomplished his task here on this earth. He did that by dying on the cross in order for us to be made right with God again. For us to be closer to his Father, the Lord God, once more. So, how does our pain measure up to what Christ felt? I can even go as far by saying, our pain means nothing.

Reflect on this: Have you ever thought about how much pain you've caused to God? Have you ever asked for His forgiveness?

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for making your Son, Jesus Christ, suffer in my place at the cross. I know that we are unworthy since the beginning, but still, your love for us is greater. It encompasses all understanding. Instead of letting us suffer the penalty of sin, you sent your dearest Son instead. And for that, we are forever grateful and thankful. For you are truly a merciful and loving God.

Forgive me Lord, if I do tend to commit mistakes once in a while. Let me be reminded that my pain is nothing compared to what Jesus felt on the cross. Instead of dwelling in those mistakes, let me live my life looking forward, seeking your forgiveness and grace instead. Let me look at the cross on a whole new perspective: that the cross is not a symbol of death, but a symbol of life and love. All be the glory to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment