May 8, 2012

Rainy days.

Leviticus 26:4


"I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees their fruit."

Yesterday, after Sunday service, my friend and I decided to bring my eldest kid to a nearby park in Quezon City for an afternoon stroll. It was such a nice day that we didn't even think bringing an umbrella with us. But as we were approaching the park, our worst fears happened. Rain suddenly poured without warning. Thanks to a nearby "sari-sari store" we managed to stay dry.

When the rain turned to just a mild drizzle, we went inside the park and decided to wait until the rain passes away. While waiting inside, my son asked me a random question. He said: "Dad, why does it rain?" I answered in a playful manner saying: "It's God's way of watering the plants and flowers. It's been a few weeks that we're experiencing hot weather so God decided to make things a little cooler."

That little conversation with my son yesterday made me reflect on how important "rain" really is. Not just for plants or flowers, but for people as well. In Scripture, rain is always associated with farming. Rain is needed   by the land to grow crops (James 5:18). Rain helps nourish the vegetation of the field (Zechariah 10:1). It is very essential to everything that has life on this earth. It's a factor for proper growth.

As a Christian, I view "rain" as the struggles and challenges that come into life. It can come like a drizzle in a Sunday afternoon or like a storm in a cold night. In a way, rain can be devastating, especially in huge amounts. But God never created rain as a bad or destructive thing. Not after the promise He made after the "great flood" during Noah's time. He created rain to provide growth for those who experience it.

In Leviticus 26:4, we are reminded that God brings rain. He sends rain so that the ground could yield it's "crops" and the trees their "fruit". If you come to think of it, we are the ground and trees in need of "rain". Without it, we become "dry" so to speak. Without trials, how can we grow as a person? How can we mature? How can we develop more trust and faith in Him?

God waters us through trials and challenges so we could yield good "crop" and bear delicious "fruit". He never intended to bring "rain" in our lives so we could just feel pain and hurt. Instead, He wants us to build a closer relationship with Him during these kinds of situation. In the process of trusting and putting our faith in Him, we become a much better person. Bearing "good fruit" as the Scriptures say.

So, the next time you experience "rainy days", just let it pass by. After it's gone, take a moment to look around. Isn't it always much beautiful after the rain?

Reflect on this: Do you feel like the rain in your life never stops? Have you ever tried calling out to God during those trying times? How does God help you to withstand the "rainy days" of your life?

Prayer: Oh merciful God, thank you for the constant "rain" in our lives. Rain that helps us grow, not just individually, but helps us grow closer to You. Forgive me, Lord, if I tend to doubt or be resentful when you overwhelm me with such challenges or trials. Instead, make me realize that you are doing this because you know what is best for me, for You are Sovereign. As said in Leviticus 26:4, send your rain to me, Oh God. So that I may yield crops and bear fruit. Not for myself, but for You and You alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment