May 27, 2012

Last Song Syndrome.

Matthew 21:9


"And the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting, "Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!""

Recently, I’ve started to get a hang of listening to Christian/Worship music. It’s really new stuff for me. Not so long ago, I considered this genre boring and in some way, not interesting. But now, as a Christian, I would certainly beg to disagree with what I have just said if I were talking to myself today. 

One song in particular remained echoing in my mind since the first time I heard it. Its lyrics and melody just captivated me and my heart. It’s as if I visualize Jesus, in His full glory and holy presence, returning to earth coming down from the skies. And as he does, all believers worship, give thanks, and welcome our Lord with great joy and gladness. 

This song is entitled “Hosanna” from the band Hillsong United. I know it was released a few years ago, around 2007 if I’m not mistaken, so it’s not that really new to some people. But for me, it was as fresh as “pandesal” baked in the morning at the local bakery since I never really listened attentively to Christian music before. 

In the song, the singer repeatedly tells the word “Hosanna”. So, I searched the web to find out what this word means. And from my research, I found out that its meaning is both cry for salvation and declaration of praise. Indeed, this word should be used in relation to Jesus Christ. Because He is the only way to salvation and we should be grateful for that. This may very well be the main reason why I feel so delighted and elated whenever I listen to the song. It literally sends chills down my spine. Every word of the song strikes me like no other song I heard before. 

In Matthew 21:9, the same word comes out from the mouth of people of Jerusalem when they saw Jesus coming from afar. They shouted “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!” with joy and praise. They may not be singing in the way they delivered those words but nevertheless, the meaning is the still the same. 

It's very nice to know that this genre of music does exist. Indeed, God is everywhere, even in the music industry. But regardless of the medium used, the important thing is that we give praise and worship to our Saviour and Lord. All the credit belongs to Him. If not for Jesus Christ's work at the Cross and God's sufficient grace, we might not be singing in joy in heaven. Instead, we might be weeping bitterly in hell. 

Reflect on this: In what medium do you give thanks to the Lord? What helps you celebrate the give of salvation through Jesus Christ? 

Prayer: Lord God, thank you for your grace. Through your Son's work at the cross, we are justified and saved. Though we are sinners and unworthy, your love for us still remains. Indeed, you are gracious my God. 

Like what was said in Matthew 21:9, dear Lord, Hosanna to your Son Jesus Christ! Truly, He is the Messiah. And as sung in "Hosanna" by Hillsong United, as your Son will come down someday from the heavens, may we tremble and be in awe of his glory and holiness. Thank you for using music as a medium to show us your greatness. 

But more importantly, let us glorify you, our Lord, not just through songs or statements, but in the way we live our lives. Let us be a testimony in our home, school or work, so that you may be magnified even more as you are now. To you my God, be the glory forever. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment